The bbCode interface may look similar to the one on roosterteeth.com, but I assure you this one is far more
complex. Here is a quick rundown of what you can do here. Items marked with * are
only available here.
- All tags case insensitive. Even [liNK] will work
- [b]Bold text[/b]
- [i]Italicized text[/i]
- [u]Underlined text[/u]
- [link]http://www.roostertooths.com[/link] => www.roostertooths.com
- [link=http://www.roostertooths.com]text[/link] => text
- [url]http://www.roostertooths.com[/url] => www.roostertooths.com
- [url=http://www.roostertooths.com]text[/url] => text
- [url] and [link] are fully interchangable
- http://www.roostertooths.com => www.roostertooths.com
- https://www.roostertooths.com => www.roostertooths.com
- ftp://www.roostertooths.com => ftp://www.roostertooths.com
- * firstname.lastname@example.org => email@example.com
- [img]imageurl[/img] => same as roosterteeth.com
- * [link=...][img]too large an image[/img][/link] => Your link is preserved
- * [link][img]imageurl[/img][/link] => A link to the image, which displays normally
[code][/code] offers preformatted fixed-width text. Spaces are spaces, and everything's
the same width, so if you want to make a table out of ascii characters you can. The checkbox under the row of tag
buttons decides whether you want bbcode inside [code] tags to be parsed, or remain as text. Test it with a bold tag to
see what I mean. If you nest [code] tags, the parser will actually figure out how deep you went and make sure it closes
the right one. If there are trailing [/code] tags, it includes them as well, and if there aren't enough [/code] tags it
just takes the last one.
* [li][/li] offers formatted lists. On their own they produce this output:
first itemsecond item
However, if you wrap all your [li][/li] in one [ul][/ul] you get this:
Also, if you wrap them in a [ol][/ol] instead you get this:
- first item
- second item
* If you select any text anywhere on the screen and press the [quote] button, you will be
prompted for the source of the quote. Then the selected text will appear in the textarea as [quote=source]text[/quote]
at your current cursor position. If you don't select any text, it will behave as any other tag, inserting
the appropriate tag at the end of the textarea.
* If you want to submit a comment that only site staff can read, the checkbox underneath the
textarea will let you do that.
Miscellaneous Cool Stuff
* When you use a bbCode button to insert a tag, the cursor moves to the end of the textarea
and the scrollbars go there as well so you can see where you are.
* If you want to insert bbCode tags in a url, such as
[link]http://[b]roostertooths[/b].[u]com[/u][/link], the tags will be parsed in the displayed text but removed from the
* To prevent crashing in Firefox 1.0.x only the first 5 [quote] tags and 5 [code] tags will
be parsed. The rest will be stripped from your text.
Why no smilies?
This somehow doesn't seem like a site where smilies would be all that useful. It's not a discussion site, it's
a site where you review and comment on static content. If/when the site grows in to more than that, I have a
smiley package ready for inclusion.